Friday, July 15, 2011

Final Reflection Letter

          SI is over. This experience has been an overpowering explosion of knowledge for who I am as a writer and teacher. When I first came to SI I felt like the geek at the cool kids party. Being a new teacher, I didn’t know what I brought to the group. It was as if everyone was thinking, who let her in here? That is the reaction I get at team planning every week. Because I’m a new teacher, I have nothing to offer. But these doubts and fears did not take long to diminish because I realized what this space is. It isn’t a competition for who had the best demo, blog entries or even breakfast food. It is a space for possibility: my SI experience in three words.
Possibility as a writer. I’ve always written. Maybe it was a short story idea scratched on a post-it note or a treasured poem hung on the wall. Lately though, I’ve fallen away from it. Maybe I’ve gotten too caught up in the everyday hustle of life and I have forgotten my long lost friend. SI has renewed my love of writing. To sit, in a space, with no motive but to write for me. I’m not writing a research paper, or grocery list, or lesson plan. I am taking the time to get my thoughts on an issue I value on paper. It is so freeing. I must have forgotten that feeling the past few years. Yet it is very present now. The past two weeks I’ve been dreaming of stories. Stories that need to be told even if no one but me ever reads them. This desire to write for my own purpose is what writing is made of.
Possibility as a teacher. In two short weeks I have taken away more knowledge about teaching, practical and theoretical, than my entire undergraduate experience. Not to discredit my university in any way, but there are some things that cannot be taught in a traditional classroom of pre-service teachers. In this classroom it is not about just the learning offered by administrators, it is the learning of other teachers. It is their willingness to share ideas and not be afraid to express their doubts. The idea of, who is an expert, came up this week. Although we all strive for this in our profession, none of us are. If we are experts then there is nothing else to learn. Yet we have proven that not to be the case these past two weeks.
What I will take away from SI is the new knowledge that teaching isn’t a competition of the best but a collaboration of smart professionals.  In the school year to come I will use much that I’ve learned these past two weeks. There is so much to take away: from the demos on writing, to the web programs, to the ways of thinking about teaching and learning. There is nothing we did that I don’t value. Not only did it give me “stuff” to use, but the first clear model of what an exemplary classroom looks like. I hope to get there some day.

9 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    I have felt the same way about being a new teacher. When I student taught, I was a part of the team. They treated me as an equal and used some of my ideas/materials I made. Then I started teaching and all of that went away. Why does that happen? I am so happy to have been here, where my (our) voice could be heard! I can't wait to learn more about critical literacy, as well. Thank you for bringing that to my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, Your candid thoughts here and throughout these two weeks have made a huge impact on me. I can not tell you how important, though I know I have already attempted to do so, you are to this group. The world needs to see the smart, thinking, interested/interesting young elementary school teachers who are doing things with kids. And thinking and writing. I am going to be finding all kinds of ways to keep you connected to Writing Project. We need you here-- and I think/hope you have found just the tip of the ice berg on how Writing Project can be part of your teaching and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley,
    I felt like the geek too! I almost felt like an impostor--like someone would point me out, recognizing that I didn't belong! The image of a "space for possibility" really sticks with me. I think of Paolo Freire when I think of this idea. He talks about the idea (and I'm heavily paraphrasing here) that if we see a fence twenty feet in front of us, we often look at what's outside of the fence and think about how we cannot get there, while missing all the space we do have to "move" even within the limitations placed on us. So, thanks for making that space for possibility visible to us.

    Um, I want to read your stories! You should share them out on a google doc or something, so we could think through them with you! :)

    Thanks so much for your vulnerability, and your willingness to push us to think about hard issues. Your demo was awesome, and (as I am sure you could tell) really got my small group fired up. Sticky notes slamming, pens scribbling, and tears flowing, we struggled to envision change. Thank you for taking us there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait - I thought I was the nerd at the cool kids party? :)

    I am also really glad we have been able to think of this all as collaboration versus competition. I really needed that after a rough year of getting used to "committee" work.

    And, I hardly ever go to Wal-Mart but now I want to go. LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geek at the cool kids party... hahaha. "overpowering explosion of knowledge" "Space for possibility"

    Somebody is a writer for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "teaching isn’t a competition of the best but a collaboration of smart professionals"
    I love this! The collaboration that we have been a part of over the past few weeks is like something I've never seen before! We are so lucky to be a part of such a forward thinking, passionate group...
    I can't wait to see what awesome-ness develops in our classrooms as a result! Thanks for all you've brought to the table...
    And thanks, again, for being my go-to :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "If we are experts then there is nothing else to learn." Your words convey an old soul - a woman with much to contribute...I want to "wrap you up and ribbon you" (Stevie Wonder) and put you on display for all to behold...you are an educator/writer/poet!!! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Stories that need to be told." This is an amazing way to phrase it. Can I steal it? I can't imagine what students would write if I told them to write the stories that they feel need to be told.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Space for Possibility

    Those are 3 great words to use to talk about SI. Be confident in what you know and what you have to offer. Your perspective and ideas are an asset to any teaching community that you go into. I was feeling the same as you were when we started. I am always asking myself "Why am I hear?" and "What do I have to offer?" It is nice to know that I am not alone in that questioning.

    Your students are very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete