Friday, July 8, 2011

Reflection Day 4

Wow what a day! I am overwhelmed in a good way with the various resources I have gained in such a little bit of time.  From Lil's workshop today I have gained so many resources into my inquiry of critical media literacies.  One I found called thebubbleproject.com is a good tool for having students critically look into media advertisements by reading between the lines.  I read a study done with fourth graders using this and was amazed on how intuitive these kids were. I'm considering putting this into my demo which went from too little, to desperately needing to be condensed after today.  I'm also interested in book vs. film critiquing and how children can use this in writing--maybe persuasive reviews of which to choose for viewers/readers.  Entertainment Weekly is my favorite magazine so this is right up my alley. 

The Workshop Workshop was very helpful also in considering how to restructure my writer's workshop time to be more meaningful and engaging.  I've been making the steps to get away from every child doing the same thing during writing but I struggled with new and innovative ways to switch this up.  I have centers throughout my day so adding these to writing is a great idea.  I'm considering permanent centers such as conferencing or revision circle and also changing centers based on need/theme.  I'm thinking on different "inspiration centers" with books, internet, video clips, and audio to inspire the unit we're working on.  I'm also looking at centers where kids and read, write, draw and talk. 

Is it August yet so I can get started?

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, your inspiration center idea sound so awesome!!! The way you are thinking about multimedia with young children is really important. Is this going to be part of your demo?! You have so many great ideas going!! I can't wait to know more.

    ReplyDelete